I was reading a post by fellow photographer Michael Ares and he did a year end, “top ten” list of his favorite shots of 2013. After reading his post, I thought it was a great idea. A great way to look through your work throughout the year and see how your are improving or if you’re stuck in a rut … So I decided to copy him, I hope he doesn’t mind … I wonder if he even knows that I have a blog …
In 2012, I was really focused on Street Photography. I was taking workshops, participating in “meet-ups” and just shooting in general. This continued into early 2013, when things changed with a simple phone call from a friend asking if I wanted to shoot stills on a set of a video interview show that he was starting … That lead to shooting in recording studios, portraits, live music and very little street photography. I guess 2013 was the year of expansion and learning … Here are a few that I like:
First, honorable mentions:
Iggy and the Stooges at Ink and Iron Festival in Long Beach. I printed an edition of 43 of this shot (plus 7 APs). I have a few left, but it was a good experiment and learning experience for me … 99% of the people who bought them were friends …
Next honorable mention: Rocket From the Crypt secret show at Bar Pink, San Diego, Easter Night. This was a weird show for me. I was really uncomfortable as I was right up in front, right in John’s face … I’m usually in the back or on the side of the stage when Rocket plays … but not this time
Riot Fest, Denver, CO audience shot with my wife and friends … I love the focus on Matt …
One of the best shows I attended this year: Dragon Smoke at The Mint in Los Angeles.
Now the top ten …
10. Shot during a one on one class with Rinzi Ruiz. “Mischief Alley” Downtown, Los Angeles.
9. Rocket From The Crypt at the Del Mar Race track. I love the look on Pete’s face and the giant crowd behind him
8. A portrait I shot for a salon’s website … I love the eyebrow, the attitude and the LensBaby blur.
7. Shoot I did for a messenger bag / back pack line … The boss didn’t like this one, but it’s the “pick of the litter” in my opinion.
6. Portrait of one of my childhood heroes. Lee Ving.
5. Shot on the set of “Death or Glory,” the host and creator. He was going over his lines in his head …
4. The Holi Festival of Color. This was a fun shoot. I had multi-colored boogers for weeks after.
3. Foo Fighters secret show at Rock & Roll Pizza in Moorpark, CA. This image brings me right back to the show. I feel like I’m right there, in the middle of the energy. And yes. next time I’ll tell you when i get tipped off to a secret show (maybe). I want to blow this one up – I think it needs to be BIGGER!
2. Sean Wheeler (of Throw Rag and Sean and Zander) on the set of Death or Glory II.
1. And my favorite of 2013. I seriously laughed out loud right when I got this shot. I saw it in my head and was able to get it! Mac from Superchunk at Riot Fest Denver. I love the point of view of this one. Being on the stage shooting out toward the crowd and having Mac jump facing me … Very different point of view … Lucky to have stage access for this one!